Tuesday, July 04, 2006

What We All Long For

No, this post isn't about sex (well, not directly), its about the book What We All Long For by Dionne Brand. This is, without hyperbole, the best book I've read in a long time for four reasons:
  1. Books set in Toronto are great, as us Torontonians can really relate a lot more to someone talking about something happening in Kensington Market, as opposed to Time Square or something.
  2. If, like me, you were born and raised in and around Toronto and are the child of visible minority immigrants, this book is for you. The rest of you will still enjoy it, but it won't have the personal tang that it does for those in my category. Honest. Proper.
  3. I always admire writers that can create meaningful dialogue between characters in slang, which is something that I can never accomplish in my writing.
  4. Always good to read something from a black-feminist-lesbian-Trinidadian author.

Stop reading about it and go buy it now at one of your friendly neighbourhood book retailers like Book City or Pages or Another Story Bookshop or the Toronto Women's Bookstore or A Different Booklist.

No comments: